Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pineapple rasam



A long while ago, I read Delicious pineapple rasam in Indu's blog. Ever since, I wanted to try that but it never happened until the other day my friend brought home a pineapple and that turned out to be a bit on the sour side. My husband would not care to eat the pineapple and I was reluctant to add loads of sugar making a juice. Then I told him that I would make raita and rasam with the fruit. He was game to try them. I have only had raita in an eatery in Bahrain and the rasam in some wedding. But I hit a super six when I tried either recipe.
I have deviated a bit from Indu's recipe. While she has cooked pieces of fruit and mashed them, I have first extracted the juice in a blender, retaining a few pieces. Also I did not add any jaggery. Later there was some sweet taste rendered by the pineapple which would have been too sweet had I added jaggery.
The recipe below will yield about 500ml rasam.

Cubed pineapple pieces 1/2 cup
Thuvar dhal 3 tablespoons
Tamarind extract from a marble size ball of tamarind
Rasam powder 2 teaspoons
Salt as required
Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder 1/4 teaspoon

Tempering:
Ghee 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds 2 teaspoons
Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Ground black pepper and ground coriander powder 1/4 teaspoon each
Curry leaves

Garnish
Freshly chopped coriander leaves
Few pineapple cubes



Choose the pineapple that is raw. The inside will still be largely white. Clean and cube the fruit.
Keep aside a few cubes for garnish.
Run the rest in a blender with some water and pulp it. Strain to obtain juice and remove scum.
Soak tamarind in warm water and extract pulp. Add to the strained juice.
Pressure cook the dhal until very soft. Allow to cool and mash. Add 1/2 cup of water and keep aside.
Meanwhile add salt, rasam powder,tumeric powder and asafoetida to the juice. Cook on medium flame for about 10-12 minutes. ( Alternately microwave on medium for 6 minutes, allow to stand 4 minutes)
Add the mashed dhal water and cook for further 5 minutes.
Heat the ghee in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Allow them to crackle. Add the powders and curry leaves. Toss once and quickly turn the heat off. Temper this to the rasam.
Garnish with the retained pineapple cubes and coriander leaves.
The rasam can be had as an appetizer drink or can be mixed with hat steamed rice and consumed.


14 comments:

  1. I LOVE thin Rasam, with Pineapple which is also my fave fruit, it must tastes divine. Good one Lata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pineapple rasam looks tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pineapple rasam is one of my favorites and this one looks fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heard about this but never made....Nice one.Will this be sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never had pineapple rasam..new for me...looks so gud

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pineapple and rasam?
    Must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!! wonderful combination for rasam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never tried pineapple rasam,although love it. Have tasted in weddings only. Thanks for sharing,bookmarked and would definitely try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i always search for this rasam recipe when i buy pineapples from the market.but most of the time we end up eating it as such or sometimes i make salads.but for sure, next time going to try this out.nice click

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too have a sour pine apple,will try this weekend! Nice recipe lata!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love pineapple rasam.., I do make it often H doesn't enjoy it much as it is little sweet, I make from nice ripe pinapples!!(should I say when ever I see a pineapple I don't check if it is sour or sweet, because I just love them :)), lovely click lata

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful rasam and this is a favourite of mine

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.