Monday, January 25, 2010

Thaliga kuzhambu



Just before leaving for Mangalore to start a new home, our first home, I indulged myself with loads of Anjali home gadgets, Yera glassware and all kinds of clutter too. Though I knew Raja would not eat much other than potatoes, carrots, beans and the likes, I went ahead and purchased a set of cookbooks in two volumes (this was before my sister bought for me the Meenakshi ammal books). I have used them off and on but not as much as my other favourite books. These two also have very traditional South Indian recipes and one of them is today's recipe.
I had never ventured to make it until recently as all of the vegetables listed in the book for this recipe have been on my husband's never-will-I-eat these list. Then when amma gave me her notebook to copy the recipes down, I found one of my cousins had given amma a recipe with the same name. Then I decided that I am making it and if Raja is not eating too, I am!
I had pumpkin and drumsticks, but had not purchased brinjals in a while and the ash gourd is not available in this country. The recipe states you might make with a mix of the four or even with just one or two. I had some big cucumbers and substituted them for the ash gourd. I loved the kuzhambu, should be a kootu rather. And, Raja had it too picking at the vegetables. So I had a double serving of the vegetables while both relished the kuzhambu. Though the book lists only these vegetables, I think most other vegetables will be suitable too.
Recipe source: SamaiyarKalai by Ku. Pa. Sethu Ammal (book 2)
Ash gourd, red pumpkin, brinjals and drumsticks cut in big chunks 1 cup
Tamarind a ball the size of a big lime
Dry red chillis 6 ( adjust as required spice)
Coriander seeds 3 teaspoons
Channa dhal 3 teaspoons
Urad dhal 3 teaspoons
Fresh coconut 2 tablespoons ( you may use store bought dessicated coconut)
Green chillis 2
Mustard seeds 3/4ths of a teaspoon
Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves few sprigs
Oil 3 table spoons
Salt to taste
Wash the vegetables and steam them adding the turmeric powder until soft. Place the tamarind in a small bowl alongside the cooking vegetables and allow to soften. Add the salt half way through the steaming and at that point remove the bowl with the tamarind.


Retain 1 teaspoon each of the urad and channa dhal for tempering. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan and roast the red chillis, coriander seeds and the remaining dhals until they are golden.
Roast the coconut until lightly brown and very aromatic.
Grind the roasted ingredients along with the softened tamarind to a very fine paste.
Add more water to this paste and mix the steamed vegetables to the paste.
Heat the rest of the oil in a heavy pan. Add the mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add the retained dhals and curry leaves. Saute' for few minutes before adding the vegetables and the paste. Bring to a boil and simmer for just about few more minutes before switching the heat off.
Enjoy with hot steamed rice.




38 comments:

  1. hmm----a delicious yum kuzhambu.Sappida varalama?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most beautiful color I have have ever seen. Great recipe Lata.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the name, looks tempting...Sutta appalamum intha kuzhambum irruntha vera yenna venum.....yummmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its new to me...Looks creamy and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ma'am dish looks so yummy and perfect. Nice photos too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the creamy texture of the kuzhumbu...looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure, it would have been delicious. we say it as kadamba kozhambu. Yummy click.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, this is my first visit here, your curry looks really delicious, wish I could have it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intersting Name,Thaliga kuzhambu.Love anything with mix of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. excellent click....looks super yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very tempting...excellent with hot rice

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm.... Can imagine how flavorful the kozhambu must be!! Kinda new to me...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kuzhambu looks yummy...I like the rasam next to it too! I like that you decided you would eat it if your husband would not..hahah..good way to challenge the guy to eat all his veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lataji this is very yummy looking dish and i love the flavors in them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummy kuzhambu with rice. authentic recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you were staying in Mangalore..?where ? I did my BSc in St. ALoysius..Love the place :D
    This kuzhambu looks wonderful..I would love to have this with some piping hot rice and pappad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the kuzhambu i will try to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds relaly delicious, the kuzhambu must go really well with rice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i too don't prefer this due to a whole lot of vegetables that go in it, but your recipe and the photos is tempting me to try it right away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very different/new title - sounds good with loads of veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is very new to me ... but I love the combination of the vegetables, and the color on that is absolutely delicious, Lataji!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome.. the curry looks great and nice presentation too

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks so thick and delicious.....beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The name is new to me. Sounds like a version of pulingari made in Palakkad side.
    Slight difference in the roasting ingredients.

    Tempting clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds and Looks delicious...I have heard that Meenakshi Ammal's book is one of the best cook book for tamil brahmin cuisine.. I hope I can get this book when I visit India...

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow..nice and great recipe..never heard of it..great click.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lataji how r u doing? dish looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks delicious ! My MIL was just telling me about this kozhambu I have yet to try...your pictures make me want to try soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice and different kuzumbu...must have tasted great :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank You Lataji for dropping . I made tri coloured kalakand :).

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you Latha for connecting with me at this point of time...it meant a lot to me..

    your blog is great and i enjoyed your writing as much as i got to see today....will read more is leisure for sure , keep in touch !!

    this curry n the one with curry patta with sesame looks very interesting ..

    ReplyDelete
  32. Heyy lovely ..latha... enjoyed ur writeup.... Good to catch up after a while.....
    Hope u had a lovely new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. looks flavourful... tempts me to try immediately :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. We make something like this too and everyone loves it.
    We I was younger, we used to live close to where you are now (in Nigeria) and I rememeber how creative my Mom used to get to substitute for a lot of stuff which wasn't available there.

    ReplyDelete
  35. kuzhambu looks very creamy and tasty.. something new to us... but looks very interesting.. nice click too

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lataji, What a nice blog you have. This is the first time I am to your blog and I am reminded of my Amma's cooking. Thank you very much. I can learn so much from your blog. Do keep posting more traditional recipes. Do visit my blog when you have the time and leave your valuable comments

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the addition of all the veggies in that creamy gravy. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.