Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sago Murukku



Sago murukku was the challenge given to members of Indian Cooking Challenge way back in March, to be posted by the 15th of April. Though I had two recipes in one cookbook, I never had attempted until Srivalli lured me by posting the challenge.
I tried the recipe given by her, which is the same as it appears below. But all plans to post were not to be. I travelled to India and disappeared from blogsphere for a while. Now that I am back, I wanted to post the recipe though very overdue.
Ingredients:
Rice Flour 2 cups
Gram flour 1/2 cup
Fried gram flour - 1/2 cup
Sago pearls - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
Curd - 50 gms (half of half cup)
Chili powder - 1/2 tsp or as per taste

Special Utensil :
Muruku Achu

Method to prepare:
Soak Sago in butter milk for 3 hours. Ensure that you soak it enough; otherwise you may risk having the sago burst.
Mix all the flours together.
Heat 50 gms oil, mix to the flour along with salt and chili powder.
Then add the soaked sago slowly and knead to a dough, the consistency should be easy to be pressed through the murukku press.
Heat oil for deep frying.
Place a small portion of the dough in the muruku achu.
When the oil is hot, press down directly in the oil as murukus.
Cook on medium flame to ensure the muruku is fried well.
Remove from oil with a slotted ladle and place on absorbent tissues to remove excess oil.
A very tasty, somewhat tangy (because of the buttermilk) murukku is ready to enjoy.


Notes:
Ensure sago soaks in buttermilk well and is soft or else it will burst when you press it down in hot oil.
Cook on medium to ensure even cooking.
I powdered the sago prior to mixing to the buttermilk, just enough to form a dough, let it stand for sometime and added the rest of the flours and the hot oil. I did not have any bursting or cracking.
This recipe resulted in somewhat hard murukkus to my liking. I usually add more butter or fat to the dough than given in this recipe. Nonetheless it tasted good and I am determined to try them again sometime later.
The recipe book I mentioned does not have the gram flour in the recipe. The author has used only rice flour and sago pearls. That might be also an interesting option.

17 comments:

  1. That is an excellent snack with Sago Lata. I love Murukkus but never added Sago in it. Thanks for the recipe!:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous looking murukku. I just cant resist crispy fried Indian snacks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is like rewinding..thanks for posting this...Im thinking of this muruku again ;)..this one looks so gud

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it has turned out perfect.Very crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lataji,

    Sago murukku looks really crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks crispy, tempting and fabulous !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed making this crispy murukkus, looks totally tempting and beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  8. tempting and delicious....great pics!! do visit me sometime..

    ReplyDelete
  9. what I need is a cup of tea along with this...yumm..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Murukku looks tempting! Perfect snack for tea time,welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Murukku looks so inviting Lataji. Hope you are keeping good health.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Lata Raja...
    Thank you very much for posting such an easy and tasty muruku..Just made it as mentioned it turned out yummy...wow im ready with snacks for my trip..Lovely pics...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lataji,

    I tried to make this 2nd time and this time it was a flop the consistency was the same but then the batter was not coming out of the muruku achu...so had to throw the entire batter.Please tell me what would have got wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Re, I have used the recipe that many other
    members have used.As i said in the post, i added powdered sago to the flours and added the buttermilk just enought to make a dough that can be pressed through the press. So adjust the buttermilk accordingly. I am in the process of moving to another country. If you allow me some time I shall try again before advising you any changes. Kindly bear with me.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.