Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mango Kesari


Wish you all a very happy new year, very belated wish though. I had not planned to stay off blogging for long, yet, I was unable to even blog browse, let alone write and post something. Owing to some unrest in the country where I live, I was asked to extend my month-long visit to the US of A by a further two weeks. In all, it was a wonderful vacation. We could visit a few friends and family as well as go around at ease.
I decided to make use of this unplanned extension by visiting my cousin in Iowa. That made a week long catching up with her and her family. She took off from work to keep me company and we chatted, listened to music, read, cooked and even baked some stuff. It was a totally relaxed week there.

I came back and between settling into to routine and everyday chores, there was this 'no inclination to spend time on the computer mood' for a few days. Thus, I kept off blogging and reading posts too. However, I already have my next short vacation planned and will be off by the next fortnight visiting home. Hence, before I go on another long period of absence, I thought of slipping a quick post in.

This was a dish that my cousin baked for me and to carry back for my daughter. It was one of the quickest to prepare and very delicious too. She said that most of the times when in the temple they request for something to be prepared at home and brought, her friends ask her to bring this. I am sure that will be the case when you try also.



Ingredients:
1 cup Rawa / semolina
1 cup white sugar
1 cup thick mango pulp (she used ready to use mango puree)
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) butter
1 teaspoon powdered cardamom
A handful of nuts and raisins (or candied fruit)



Method:
Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare a baking dish by greasing the insides. (Though the butter will take care of this part, I would feel easy to grease)
Mix all the main ingredients in a bowl, handling them gently. It does not matter that the butter is totally soft and blended well. It melts during the process of baking and mixes well with the rest of the contents.
Transfer the mixed ingredients to the baking dish. Spread the nuts and candied fruits on the top.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove from the oven, allow to cool and cut into desired size.
A very sweet and flavoursome dessert is ready.
You may want to increase the quantity of sugar, if the mango puree is not very sweet.
She said that the pineapple kesari that is commonly served in parties in South India inspired her to try this. She added that when you have over ripe bananas, you may pulp them and prepare the same dish.
Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Welcome back, missed you around :) kesari looks super delicious, craving for some now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kesari with mango flavour...yummm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mango Kesari looks easy; hope to look forward to a wonderful bunch of posts and photos from home!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome. Very unique baking and so easy too..a must try recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once tried a savoury semolina cake.....and quite like the idea of baking kesari.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big very warm welcome back Lata. yummilicious and inviting recipe with an awesome presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I need to hunt for Mangoes..yum..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious falvor kesari :) Loving it :)

    Hope you had a great vacation :) Happy to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you back here :-) It was great meeting you and your wonderful family !
    I'm bookmarking this, a great twist to the kesari :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful and perfect. Welcome back to blog and India as well

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kesari looks wonderful.. I love anything with mango in it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks awesome and easy......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome kesari.... I love mango flavour in sweet Indian desserts..:))
    Loved it..
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  14. A baked version of kesari - awesome idea! Thanks for posting akka.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kesari looks fantastic, Baked version is really good!, should try this sometime, other than baking Mango cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to hear you had a relaxing vacation! We all need those doses of recharge in order to continue to work efficiently!

    Mango kesari , that too,the baked version sounds awesome! The pics r tempting as well! Will try this when mangoes r in season!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chance-e illai lataji, this looks very tempting, nice idea to use ripen banana's also!!! Bookmarking them , may be i will try for this BM itself!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.