Friday, June 25, 2010

Choco Almond Burfi



Nupur wants us to make use of some ingredients we have bought for some random dish and have simply pushed it right to the back row of the kitchen shelf, at the same time you use it in a recipe from a fellow blogger. The event is BB4: What's Lurking In The Kitchen.

This post may not have appeared today, if I were not chatting up with Shoba late in the evening yesterday. In fact I promised her that I would cook something from Anubhavati for this event. I looked up and found that I lacked one thing or another to try my choice dishes. However, for today's lunch I have cooked her Easy and Healthy Vazhakkai Fry. I shall refrain from repeating the recipe as you may all look up from her site and enjoy the same. I only show you a picture of my version.



Well, that was not anything from ingredients lurking in my pantry. Eventually, the veggie would have appeared on my lunch menu in the course of the week, before I go on my home bound vacation.
So I choose to give you here, what I made just to use up the ground almonds and some Ovaltine I had. The Ovaltine was what I bought when my mother visited. She takes her lunch around mid morning, skipping breakfast. She prefers not to have a second helping of coffee. That is why I purchased ovaltine. Under normal circumstances I would have packed it off with her. This time, having bought the smallest available size, it was not worth adding to her twenty kilo baggage allowance.
I planned to use it in some cake or sweet, but kept putting it off. Similarly, the milk powder was something left over after I purchased when somebody suggested making yoghurt with it and after one pathetic try, given up.

Then when I found that Jayasree had made badam kathli in the microwave, I borrowed her recipe and tweaked it just by adding the Ovaltine and the ground almonds and reducing the sugar. Her recipe for Badam Kathli can be read from her blog Experiments in Kailas Kitchen..
I give below my tweaked version. This no longer qualifies to be called Kathli, the pieces are so thick that I have to call them burfi. I was a bit over zealous and let the microwave work a wee bit longer, which effectively over cooked the dish kept therein. I had to quickly retrieve and pour the mixture out on a greased surface by which time it had cooled and beyond the roll-out texture. Nonetheless, the sweet was a treat, ready in minutes it was just an indulgence.


Ingredients and method to prepare:
Almond powder 3/4 cup
Milk powder 1/2 cup
Ovaltine 1/4 cup
Powdered sugar 1/2 cup
Milk 3 tablespoons
1 teaspoon ghee to be smeared in the bowl

1 teaspoon ghee to grease the surface/ plate

Warm the milk in a microwave proof bowl for two minutes on medium high. Mix the Ovaltine and the sugar to the warm milk.
Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix them well.
Put the bowl back in the microwave and cook without lid on on 100% power for 2 minutes.
Take it out, give a quick and thorough stir.
Return to microwave and keep it on for 1 and 1/2 minutes on 100% power.
The mixture will bubble and froth. ( This is where I thought it was undone and let in go for a further 20 seconds).
Remove from the oven. Keep whisking until it gathers well to a chappati dough-like consistency. Transfer to a greased surface.
Roll out thinly and cut diamond shapes.
A very relishable sweet is ready to indulge.



27 comments:

  1. That was an interesting write-up and a lovely dish too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delicious! Thanks for your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one thing: please link to the badam kathli recipe on the inspiring blog and not just to the home page so readers can go directly to that recipe from here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nupur, I already have:) However, let me edit a bit and make the link bold...hope that is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the snap..:) mouthwatering!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow.. looks perfect with delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tempting and mouthwatering sweet, Well penned

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely post and lovely entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowwwwwwwwww... mouth watering recipe.. looks too good dear.. awesome clicks too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I love choco burfi, yummmm recipe, love it :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Burfi looks mouthwatering, truly tempting..that simple vazhakkai fry looks super delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lata,

    Lovely clicks...In fact your vazhakkai fry looks even better than mine!!! Also for the Burfis...Good use of leftovers...

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  13. the burfis look so tempting and perfect keep some for me. very very chocolateeeeeeeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the burfis look so chweet and tempting,keep some for me.very very chocolateeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  15. The burfi looks amazing..feel to grab one from the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Burfi looks perfect and delicious! Nice click!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi. yummy looking! but i cant find ovaltine. can i use bourvita or something?

    ReplyDelete
  18. how do u make almond powder??

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Anonymous: Almond powder sells ready made where i live. Else you can dry roast and powder coarsely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This burfi is mouth watering mam. I feel like trying it at once and taste it. But afraid my bloog sugar level will go up. Can u write recipes using sugar substitutes?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this easy recipe. Your burfi looks really soft. I followed your recipe, but mine came out quite hard and chewy, though I was able to roll it out. Do you think I should cook it less next time?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ruchira, probably you have a microwave with a higher output wattage.Try cooking on 80% power or lesser time. Mine was hardened just by leaving a few seconds longer, as i have mentioned in the post.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.