Thursday, June 3, 2010

Nan Kathais


These are probably the easiest to bake and the most versatile cookies. This particular recipe is from my friend which she had shared with another friend’s daughter who made them for us.
Niki follows this recipe whenever she feels like baking all by herself. I have a recipe in my microwave cookbook which replaces the gram flour in this with semolina.

Ingredients:
1 ¼ cups All purpose flour
¼ cup Gram flour
½ cup Ghee (clarified butter)
½ cup Powdered sugar

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees Centigrade
Mix all the ingredients with a spatula until well blended.
Pinch out small portions and roll them in balls and then flatten a bit.
Place well apart on a baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven. While still warm, sprinkle some powdered sugar over the naan khatais.
Allow them to cool and transfer to airtight containers.
I have added some readymade jam and nuts.

22 comments:

  1. So good to have few of those to pop in your mouth, looks perfect. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks perfect!!!!
    Thx. for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the North Indians make this a lot.Turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies looks very easy and yummy too ..would like to try this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. lataji, excellent cookies.how r u doing now?
    i havent started baking yet.ur nankattais are tempting me to start it soon. just want to grab it from the screen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful and looks cute. Well presented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this version of nan khatai, looks perfect and so very tempting !

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks divine.......i use sooji too...perfect round cookies......

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look wonderful and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thats mouth drooling..nice one..absolutely fantstic pic

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful cookies... looks perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't stop eating one, they look cute with decoration on top!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute cookies.. yummy & delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi lata, they look gorgeous, I made them long before, I have forgotten how I made it, I must try these if they are different, they look good and beautiful clicks

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cookies look awesome. I usually see recipes that make them with vegetable shortening. I like that you have used ghee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the melt-in-the-mouth feel of nankhatais. I didn't know you could make them with gram flour or semolina!

    Btw, hope you have recovered from your illness and are fine now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scrumptious nankhattais looks prefect..send me some..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Nankatais too.Posted it on my blog just recently.Yours have come out just perfect..love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am planning to make these since long time, i add like cardamon powder as well :)
    Nice presentation and perfect for tea time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. nan khatais have come out superbly well

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.