Monday, January 28, 2013

Kuzhipaniyaram

It may sound absurd if I say that today's recipe is an impulsive attempt that resulted from a discussion, not closely related to the topic on facebook. But it is! Well I am few months late in sharing the recipe, but the pictures were clicked the day after I read / shared my comments there. As many of the friends on my profile happen to blog food recipes, many a times I find myself reading very interesting discussions revolving that territory.
Thus in early October, last year, there was a long chat about buying clay pots for cooking. At some point. someone had commented about stone ware. 'Kalchattis' as they are called in some native languages, are used in traditional cooking in South Indian households. I had one too that I left back with my mother, but have here with me the kuzhipaniyaram pan. I clicked a picture of the pan and posted. Having not used it for many months, as the non-stick pan has replaced it, I had to clean it well before I took the picture. Then on a sudden impulse, I decided to put the pan to use.



The other reason I had not used this pan for so long is that it has a tiny crack in one of the dents and the oil oozes out. These utensils are quite tough and take abuse. However, given the number of times mine has been packed and moved, it is only natural that the strain shows. My sister uses a hand down pan from our aunt. That also has a crack; but she cleverly manages to turn it around to the corners receiving lowest heat while she cooks. Having that in mind, I decided to revive my pan. It had been a show piece - base for few lamps over the recent years !
I soaked the ingredients, ground the batter and the next morning made them for breakfast with two chutneys.
This pan has larger and deeper depressions than its nonstick coated counterpart. So with fewer paniyarams you might feel contended.

Ingredients:
1 cup parboiled rice/ idli rice
1 cup raw rice
1/3 cup urad dhal/split black gram
1 tablespoon thuvar dhal/split pigeon pea
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

Method:
Wash the rice separately in few changes of water and soak them for a few hours.
Soak the fenugreek seeds separately.
 Likewise both the dhals must be cleaned but soaked together. (They can be soaked at a later time than the rices).
While grinding, start with the fenugreek seeds. Grind them adding sufficient water in small quantities. They will become light and frothy. Then add the soaked dhals to this and grind to a fluffy batter.
Transfer the ground dhal batter to a large bowl.
Grind the soaked rice, both together, to a smooth batter.
Mix this to the dhal batter and add the salt. Mix well.
Allow about 8 hours (to overnight) for fermentation.
Place the paniyaram pan on the stove, fill the dents with a generous spoon of oil in each and switch the stove on. The stone will crack with intense heat if heated empty. This is not the case the cast iron or nonstick pans.
Meanwhile whisk the batter well.
When the pan and the oil are hot, pour the batter in the dents to fill just below level.


Allow to cook on one side well and using a skewer gently roll them upside down and cook further until well done.
Push the skewer in to check. If it comes out clean, remove the cooked paniyaarams from the pan and transfer to a serving dish.
Serve these hot with chutney of your choice.



If desired, you may add chopped onions, chillis and fresh curry leaves to the batter. Temper some mustard seeds and channa dhal in oil and add to the batter. The onions can be raw or slightly sautéed in oil before adding them in. It adds to the taste.

This recipe is being sent to The Well Seasoned Cook's My legume Love Affair the 55th Edition being hosted in her own space.

23 comments:

  1. Yum! Lata you are making me want to go home right now and make my batch of paniyarams! Been ages since I ate these! And that side looks super mouth watering... is that onion chutney?!! Do you have a recipe for that posted? I want i want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super super. I wish I have this paniyaram pan. I dont like non stick some how ;) I have an indolium one, still like this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy presentation, Lata Akka :-) Loved the idea of presenting these on skewers ;-)

    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    2nd blog Anniversary + Giveaway
    Event : Winter Foods : 30 min Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...they look super !! been so long since i had one..:)...Can these be made in an Idli Thattu ??..Does it need to be covered or is it fried in oil ?..and also chutneys look so dippable...:)....In another post u mentioned Tomato chutney ..do u have it posted here ? Reny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They cannot be made in idli thattu. they are not exactly deep fried but shallow fried in oil. The tomato chutney link is here:
      http://lata-raja.blogspot.com/2011/06/thakkali-vengayam-chutney-tomatoes-and.html

      Delete
  5. Wow.. Super...Nice Presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  6. U made me hungry. I am a big fan of paniyaram. Loved the clicks as well as the chatti picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lataji stick a piece of tamarind in the the crack. It will seal the gap well. Amma too had/has a lot of kalchetti's. Paati uses tamarind to seal the crack. I m planning to buy one for me this time.
    Btw paniyaram looks yum!!!! Got so engrossed in the kalchetti, forgot the food!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priya. I will do that. No problems...actually this post is more about the kalchatti than the paniyaram.:)

      Delete
  8. This is how I make aapam batter and always make both, aapam and paniyaram. The kids love the spongy soft paniyarams... Looks great with both chutneys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss the Kalchatti vessels' have not brought any over here due to the weight.
    Lovely snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you presented it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss kalachatti, May next time when I visit India I will get one. By the way your antique kalchatti looks super, Paniyaram is delicious with all the chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...paniyarams look so soft and yum.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Feel like inviting myself to ur place, antique kalchatti looks fabulous akka, i really miss my grandma's paniyara chatti;

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pan or the kalchatti - am sure the taste will be different because of the clay cooking ! awesome post

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely pan Lataji. I always love to cook int he traditional utensils. I realise that after all this talk about healthy and fast cook and oil free and non stick, all of them are actually not so good for us in more ways than one! The kalchatti is a pure non-carcenogenic beautiful cooking utensil. I love that it has deep "kuzhis"...Madurai amma`s is made of heavy bronze and has deep kuzhis. I love her heavy appa karal. All these are to be preserved and kept and handed down!!!
    Love the chutneys too. Raja sir must have enjoyed!!! You know i am jealous of your beautiful island!!!

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paniyarams look super yum...I have a kalchatti which I got last time from India...Love them..

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum yum kuzhi paniyarams which r my favourite also.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lata, this is such a great recipe, never mind that I can hardly pronounce it's name without stumbling on my tongue. ; )

    These types of cooking pans are very popular in many different cuisines. I have a non-stick model known as an æbleskiver pan in Danish. Now I have another recipe to try.

    Thank you so much for your contribution to MLLA. I'd love to snack on these babies right now!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.