Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gulab Jamuns- a 'never will we get over this' - indulgence



I had been keeping this post pending for long now. Milestone posts do not come by everyday, do they? This post, as my dashboard shows is the 200 th! Had someone suggested sharing my culinary experiments few years ago, I may have thought it was a laugh. Cooking something and writing up a post on that would have never crossed my mind. And today, here I am sharing 200 odd recipes!
I have the habit of scribbling my notes on the very page of a recipe. Points like the date that I tried it, what were my adjustments to the same and also who along with me enjoyed that and how well it was received can be found there.
Last year around festival season we were challenged to make gulab jamuns from scratch. We were given recipes from three friendly bloggers who shared them. I got a bit heady and tried two recipes then and the third on a later occasion.
Soon after, I wanted to check the recipe given in one of my favourite books. I discovered that I had made a fusion recipe using the one in the book and another in my mother's note book years ago, for deepavali. My notes were all over the already browning brittle sheet of the book.
I resolved to try that on the next possible occasion. I did and just did not find time and inclination enough to post the same.

Now with this nice looking number and Aparna asking for bite size sweets on Sugar High Fridays, I gave up procrastination and am ready to share the recipe here.

The recipe has worked well for me and I hope it does in your kitchens too.

I made the khoya/ khova from scratch as I usually do.

Ingredients:
Khoya/ khova (made by boiling down 2 litres) approximately 500 grams
Maida/ All purpose flour 90 grams
Cooking soda 2 pinches (size that matches the head of match sticks)
Ghee 2 teaspoons
Yoghurt/ Curd 2 table spoons

Oil/ Ghee for deep frying

For the syrup:
Sugar 800 grams
Water equal volume of sugar
Few strands of saffron
Few drops of rose flavoured essence, if desired; or powdered cardamom.

Method:
Rub the ghee into the maida well.
Add the cooking soda to the yoghurt and whisk until frothing.
Mix the maida, yoghurt and the khoya. Knead well until well blended and a smooth dough is formed.
Pinch out small portions of the dough and roll into small balls. If the balls develop cracks, add some warm milk and proceed. I rolled them in elliptical shape.
Using a tooth pick make tiny perforations on the surface of the balls, ensuring that holes are not formed.
Heat ghee or oil in a pan. The frying medium should be just hot and not smoking.
Drop few of the rolled jamuns and over a very moderate heat fry them until well cooked.
Remove from ghee/oil and place on absorbent tissues.
Meanwhile, dissolve the sugar in water and place the pan on heat. Allow the solution to come to a boil and continue boiling for 8 - 10 minutes. Drop the saffron in and add the essence if using.
Gently drop the deep fried jamuns in the sugar syrup.
Allow a few hours for the jamuns to soak and absorb the syrup.
The gulab jamuns are ready to be enjoyed.
I enjoy them split in two halves and scooping with some syrup.



As told earlier these are being sent to Aparna to be featured in Bite size sweets.
Generally, most Indian home made sweets are on the sweeter side and can be enjoyed only in small sizes. The gulab jamun is one such and you may be able to have a maximum of two or three at one serving.
Any milk based sweet does not have long shelf life. It holds good with these too. Refrigeration is not my recommendation, though it is possible. They will stay well for three days even at room temperature.
You may enjoy them with vanilla ice cream too.




16 comments:

  1. that looks really spongy Jamuns. Frankly speaking, I have no patience to try from scratch. enakellam MTR than sari:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your 200th post with a melting gulab jamun and wish you many more to come

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, am drooling rite now here, looks truly tempting,spongy and marvellous..Congrats on ur 200th post..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmmmmmm! yummilicious gulab jamuns dekhke mooh me pani aa raha hai.Can I quickly grab them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Lataji..you are such a treasure trove!..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on reaching 200 posts, Lata.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congragulations on the 200th post. Wow and those jammons look so so delicous. Really it has soaked up the syrup beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Lata........wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your milestone..These gulab jamuns looks delicious..

    Best Regards
    Sulagna
    http://e-senseofspicenfragrance-sulagna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on ur milestone. I wish Many Many More delicacies....
    Such a spongy Jamun! I can't even think making from scratch :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats on ur 200th post ...perfect way to celebrate this lovely moments ..gulab jamuns looks very tempting ..yummy

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can never ever get over them. Hands down my favorite indian sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I badly want to taste few ;) Looks tempting,congrats on reaching the milestone,looking forward for more from here :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look perfect, Lata. Pity I cannot taste them firsthand. Gulab jamuns are one of the few sweets I like and my duaghter will die (almost) for them.
    Happy I got you to post them. :) Thanks for sending then in to SHF: Bite Size Desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I meant to come over the day I saw this post - as I write, I have a packet of dry jamuns waiting to be consumed by those around me, what a coincidence! May you have many more such milestones!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.