Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Apple cinnamon muffins



My last post was just the one of the recipes for the Free spirit bloggers' 'Cafe Casa' theme, that Deepti chose for us. She had wanted us to make a snack that you would love to go with the drink, that is usually on the menu too. Again it was Niki's choice and I had an outline recipe to work around the same. Also I wanted to work substituting eggs. With few trials using milk and yoghurt as substitutes for the eggs that had been added, I finally had a recipe that yielded soft, slightly sweet and flavoursome muffins.
I had read and re-read many muffin recipes that were free of eggs; thanks to many baking expert bloggers, I found some recipes that I can easily work with. Ever since,I have been making muffins and cupcakes grabbing every opportunity that arose.



This recipe makes 12 muffins.

Ingredients:
1 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered quick cooking oats (replace with all purpose flour if desired or wheat flour)
100 grams sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup soft brown sugar
1 cup cored and chopped apple pieces
1/2 cup skimmed milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 & 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon powdered cinnamon (I added 1/2 teaspoon more, as I love the flavour)



To sprinkle on top:
Mix 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon

Method:
Sieve together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Take the flours in a bowl and add the chopped apples to the same.
Toss the apples in the flour so that the flour coats the apples well. Add the powdered cinnamon.
Whisk together in another bowl, the sugar, condensed milk, milk and oil to blend well. Add the vanilla extract to the same.
Pre - heat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade.
Line the muffin tray with the paper cups or slightly grease the moulds. (I greased them as I did not have the cups at that point)
Make a well in the centre of the flour mix. Pour the liquid mix into the well and gently fold the flour in. Use gentle strokes to mix. Even if the flour remains as such in small streaks, you may overlook that. It takes care of itself while baking.
Over mixing will result in the muffins turning out tough.
Pour the batter in the muffin tray to fill 2/3 rds level in each indention.
Bake the same for 25 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
Remove the tray from the oven. When the muffins are still warm, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top.
Cool on wire racks and store.
Serve them slightly warmed with a favourite coffee drink. I paired these with my iced caramel machiatto.


Try the other delicious combos from my free spirit mates, Anu, Deepti, Dhivya, Madhuri, Mridhubashini, Nagalakshmi and Siri. You are assured of being treated royally to some coffee/ tea treats and eats to go with those!

10 comments:

  1. I love apple and cinnamon combo very much,like in apple pie :) have to try and enjoy this way too. The last click is tempting me, with the drink :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flavorful and delicious combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love apple and cinnamon together in bakes, fabulous muffins..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple cinnamon - the classic combo. Love this...bookmarking it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. muffins sounds absolutely irresistable...inviting cliks..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious muffins...Yummy yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious looking muffins! A new fan of your blog! :)
    -
    Kavi | Edible Entertainment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely delish! Added to my must-try list! :)
    TastyVegCooking

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.