Monday, November 14, 2011

Roasted tomato and bell peppers soup



Once in a while, when I find that my mind is blank on dinner ideas and am exhausted dishing out some upma or another, I decide to make soup and have. Between me and my husband, I can live on soups and salads while he isn't a fan of either. Yet he has a few exceptions, though he may not admit that he quite likes them.
Few days ago, I craved for the comfort of a warm bowl of soup. I had earlier baked the potato bread and so I paired it with this soup, which I hoped was detox after all the deepavali bakshanam consumed.
The recipe was printed and handed to me by the chefs in The Gateway Hotel, sometime in July earlier this year. I had perfect large and firm yet ripe tomatoes and red bell peppers which are main ingredients in this recipe. However, as I proceeded with the soup, I strayed far beyond the printed leaflet on hand.
Recipe for russian potato bread is an earlier post in this site. Spread some garlic butter to the bread and enjoyed with the soup.



Ingredients:
1 large red bell peppers
1 large tomato
1/2 of one small size red onion chopped fine
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 small sprig thyme (or use dry thyme about 1/2 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon butter
Water as required
Fresh cream just to finish

Method:
Wash the pepper and tomato. Pat them dry.
Carefully, roast the pepper on medium flame directly, turning on all sides until they are charred at the surface. Immediately, wrap this in a cling film. Allow to cool.
Similarly, using a mesh over the stove, place the tomato and roast the same lightly, just until warm. Or for better roasting, grill the same in an oven until short of getting charred. Just as with the pepper, cover the tomato also and leave it to cool.
Once both have cooled to room temperature, rub the cling film so that the charred outer skin of the vegetables fall off. Chop them both coarsely. Keep aside.
Melt butter in a heavy pan. Add the chopped onions and roast them well. Add the garlic and the thyme. Saute' and then add the chopped tomato and peppers.
Add enough water and bring to a boil. Reduce the flame and simmer for about five minutes.
Allow to cool and then puree in a blender.
Pass this though a sieve. Top this with cream to finish.
Serve hot with a basket of warm bread.

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic combiantion.Soup is just better if you roast vegetables;)I inherited from my parents house cooking of soup every day before main meal.So I could live of good soup every day too;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious refreshing soup and lovely presentation.
    indu srinivasan
    kattameethatheeka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lataji,

    i love love roasted tomato and red pepper soup...its my absolute favourite. I get a brand here called Pacific Broth and its the best best soup thats store bought that it absolutely delicious! Yours looks creamy and lovely! and with bread....hmmm..

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a super combo and roasted vegetables have extra and rich flavour to the soup..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, iam ready to have it rite now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The combinations you come up with are perfect! :) I should learn to serve soups with more than store-bought soupsticks and toasted bread!!
    I have made roasted bell pepper soup too but combining with a tomato would have made it richer :) Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super flavourful soup,simply inviting and comforting..

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks awesome.. roasting always brings out such delicious flavours. I posted a similar combo a while ago.. we enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could imagine how wonderful the flavors and taste of roasted bell pepper must have been in the soup, Lata!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous combination.. delicious and flavourful..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow very refreshing and delicious soup...wonderful combo!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.