Orange peel thogaiyal and venthya kozhambu are my periamma's specialities. My daughter and myself are quite fond of the tangy tasting kozhambu. I don't save the peel so much to make thogaiyal often. But sometimes I try to use up all of the peel.
- Mandarin orange peel - of one orange (shredded 1/4 cup)
- Tamarind - size of a small marble
- Dry red chillies - 6 long pieces
- Urid dhal - 3 tablespoons
- Channa dhal - 1 tablespoon
- Asafoetida powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 3 teaspoons
Heat oil in a pan. Toss the orange rind in the oil until the shreds are soft. Keep aside. In the same pan roast the dhals, salt, tamarind and red chillies until the chillies are crisp and dhals are golden brown.
In the mixie first pound the above mixture coarsely and then add the cooked orange rind. Run for a few more minutes until all of them blend well almost powdered.
The thogaiyal can be had with rice like any other podi or thogaiyal with a little ghee or gingley oil.