Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cookies Galore

I bought this particular cookbook just because the author had a few eggless cookies included. Betty Saw is a well known name in Malaysia.My neighbour recommended this book and I went ahead and purchased. I've tried all of her eggless ones. Needless to say, I have had excellent results and at times disastrous ones that I resolve I should give up baking. I'm not cut out for it.




But when you 've had good ones why not share them?

Laavanya of Cookerycorner celebrates her birthday tomorrow. (19 th of June).
She was my niece's housemate in Singapore. When I first met her, I marvelled at how those young girls, who had until their school finals been protected and pampered by parents, had adapted to living on their own in an alien country, getting on by themselves. That infused some confidence in me to let the string lose for my daughter. Kudos to you Laav, I know Niki looked up to the three of you in her teens. She learnt a lot from you. Happy birthday dear. Wish you many more to come by.
This post, I have put up specially for you. There are, not one, but three cookies for you.

Butter cookies with jam centre: (Betty Saw )




270 grams plain ( all purpose ) flour.
1 teaspoon baking powder
240 grams butter at room temperature
90 grams icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
ready-to-use strawberry or any flavoured jam

Line baking trays with non stick baking paper.
Sift together flour and baking powder
Mix the butter, icing sugar, vanilla essence and sifted dry ingredients in an electric mixer.
Beat at lowest speed for 10 seconds and at medium speed for 5 minutes until the mixture is smooth and light.
Spoon the mixture into a cookie press fitted with large star nozzle. Pipe out circles with a tiny hollow centre on the prepared trays. Fill the centre with jam.
Bake in a preheated 180 deg.C oven for 12 - 15 minutes.
Cool on racks.

Butter Almond Crispies:(Betty Saw)




2 tablespoons corn flour
210 grams all purpose flour
250 grams cold butter diced
100 grams almond powder
100 grams icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
sugar dragées for decoration.

Line baking trays with non stick baking sheet.
Sift together cornflour and all purpose flour.
Cream icing sugar, vanilla essence and butter until light and fluffy.
Add sifted ingredients and almond powder pulsing until well combined.
Spoon into cookie press or piping bags and press out desired shapes on the prepared trays.
Bake in a preheated 180 deg.C oven for 15 minutes.
Cool on wired racks.

Cashew cookies:



70 grams cashews coarsely powdered.
150 grams castor sugar
250 grams all purpose flour
75 grams butter at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Cardamon powder and clove powder just a hint
Cashews broken for placing on top

Cream butter and castor sugar until light and fluffy.
Sift together all purpose flour and baking powder.
Add to the flour the cardamon powder and powdered clove.
Mix the dry sifted ingredients to the butter-sugar and combine well while adding the cashew powder in small quantities.
Pulse until the mixture is smooth.
Hand roll the cookies, place a cashew on top.
Place on prepared trays.
Bake on preheated oven at 160 deg.C for 15 minutes or until golden.
Cool on wire racks.

10 comments:

  1. Dearest akka, how absolutely sweet of you to post these fabulous cookies for my birthday! :) I cannot thank you enough. They all look so professional and now I think i need to get my hands on the cookie press & try these out.
    Also, thanks for your words about inspiring confidence - you are such a strong person with amazing talents so I'm sure Niki already had a great source of inspiration.
    With love, laavanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my the cookies really have come out well, they look extremely professional...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Parita.And Laav anytime for you dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lata.. You can't tempt me like this specialy when I'm watching my waist line :P heh! heh! Cookies look so delightful and heavenly. Oh the coffee utensil is super cute!Where did u get them.. I have a pasiion for collecting coffee cups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Ann I'm sorry, but I wanted that up for Laav. And the coffee set was a gift from a friend when we left Malaysia.Everytime I pack my stuff I keep fingers crossed.These are sentimentally precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lata i love all these cookies.. please invite us for the tea party dear..looking good and perfectly baked

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookies look so beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cookies look light n crisp!!Esp Jam centered cookies!!!
    Drop in sometime to my blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pavithra, I would love to have you anytime.Make a holiday to Ghana. There is more here than just my cookies. Jyoti thank you very much. And Chaitra thank you too.I'm happy you like them. I will visit your blog immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cookies look delectable.. pass me some please...

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.