Friday, December 18, 2015

Rawa Kesari

How often I quickly make rawa kesari for neivedhyams and yet not taken a photograph so I can share? This was until I was given a photography assignment to try and replicate a photo from Pinterest. I had seen some orange ice cream picture and loved the vibrant colour on the mild blue background. I wanted to give that a try.
I had given up ice cream some years ago and I did not also find the right oranges, even to make just for a photograph. Still, I wanted some picture nearly as seen there. Then it was on a Friday that I made rawa kesari for offering with prayers. I did not add any orange/ yellow food colouring that might have given a nice orange colour. Instead since I used saffron, the colour was somewhat mild and mostly yellow. Yet I wanted to use it for the photograph and tried.
I have earlier posted this rawa badam burfi. We had liked the combination of almonds and semolina then. I had on hand also almond meal and decided to substitute part of rawa with powdered almonds. The result was a flavoursome, rich sweet treat.

Rawa Kesari with Almonds


Ingredients:
Serves 8 -10
1/2 cup semolina / rawa
1/2 cup powdered almonds
1/4 cup milk
1-1/4 cup sugar (I like it sweet and thus the quantity of sugar may seem more)
1/3 to 1/2 cups ghee
1 tablespoon broken cashews for garnish
Few strands of saffrom mixed in 1 tablespoon milk

Method:
Heat a tablespoon ghee in a pan, add broken cashews and toast them until a fine golden colour. Transfer to a dish and keep aside.
Add saffron strands in warm milk.
In the same pan heat about 1/8th of a cup of the ghee and on medium heat toss the almond powder until it gives away an aroma.Transfer to a wide plate and keep aside.
Reserve a portion of the rest of the ghee for later and heat about 1/4 cup. Add the rawa and fry it until golden and aromatic.
Transfer to a dish.
Use the same pan; Add a cup of water to the milk and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to the lowest and stir in the rawa first not allowing lumps to form. Similarly add the almond powder quickly. Cook them both on low fire stirring regularly until they have cooked well.
Add the saffron infused milk and mix it in.


Once the rawa has cooked, drop the sugar and stir vigorously. The sugar will dissolve and the mix will become a semi liquid. Keep stirring until they have blended and the mixture is thickening.
Add the rest of the ghee in small increments while cooking.
Add the cashews and mix.
Switch off the heat when the kesari is still a bit loose. It will thicken on cooling.
Serve warm or at room temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.