Thursday, July 30, 2009

Shavige

Shavige to Kannadigas is what sevai to Tamilians is also known as senthagai and semige. String hoppers is a fancy name I read in my Sumeet Mixer-grinder's cookbook. It is easy to digest because it is steamed and high in carbo hydrates because parboiled rice is the only ingredient other than salt and a little quantity of oil.
Grind to a fine batter 1cup of parboiled rice, add the salt. The batter is ready.
Take oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the above batter. Cook, stirring constantly until the water evaporates and the rice is collected in a well cooked, non-sticky lump. To test this you may try to roll the batter into a small ball, if it does not stick, then the batter has been cooked.



Allow to cool until your hands can tolerate the warmth. Shape into lumps that can fit into the shavige press.
Steam these prepared balls for about 12 minutes or a little longer.
Press them through the shavige press and collect the strings in a plate placed at it's bottom.
The basic shavige is ready.


You may serve them with very finely ground coconut chutney or gravy made using coconut milk.
Tamil homes delight in mixing this basic sevai with lemon, coconut, sesame seeds powder, cumin-pepper powder and in my parents home we also make payasam with coconut,rice and jaggery alongwith thayir sevai.You can be innovative once you have the basic recipe. You can look up Shanthi Krishnakumar's recipe posted recently for the varieties.

It is a bit of an effort to make sevai/shavige. Recently there is a new automatic sevai maker available in the Indian markets. Read about it on their website.
I have not used it. I still am faithful to my age old sevainaazhi. Just out of interest and having watched their demo video I thought I will let you know.

I am sending this recipe to RCI-July event currently hosted by Sia of Monsoonspice which is the brain child of Lakshmi of veggiecuisine.



I would also like to send this to Shanthi Krishnakumar's State Specials event.

12 comments:

  1. nice one...must buy one sevai maker ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i miss the sevai maker here.. comes out so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sevai looks yummy..I too watched the magic sevai maker on a site..I really like sevai..Since i dont have sevai nazhi,i resort to readymade sevai..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice step by step pics... looks so perfect... yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats truly an admirable recipe..looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom used to make in this,outcome is great but a painful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We make this when we visit India, time consuming to make but it is really worth it, isn't it ? Looks perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love shavige, when we go 2 india we make this tedious job but so tasty i make so many variations in this lovely presentations

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi

    I am a silent follower of your blog and love ur recipes & of course the presentation....but just one doubt...do u steam the cooked batter first or after making it as sevai....

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Anonymus...We steam the shaped dough prior to pressing as sevai with the press.
    In case, as in idiyaapam, using raw rice powdered and roasted, I drop the powder in warm water, tightly close it for a while to cook in it's own steam and the press with the omapodi press over a flat plate prior to steaming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw you blog today.Am from kerala and just love the blog.can't wait to try few recipes soon.I came across this post and curious with the sevanaazhi I saw in your picture (3)Is that still available in the market?I liked the idea of having a stand.Would be great if you could give e some information.
    Thanks
    San

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you San. Yes, it is very much available. Every steel utensil store in cities in Tamilnadu sells these. Somewhere in the range of INR 750 or a little more, if I recall.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.