Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Colourful Mini Idlis



For sometime before active blogging, I was following few other peoples' lovely blogs which actually inspired me to have a space to share recipes I try in my kitchen. Madhuram is one of those many who were my inspirations. I am still not confident with my baking prowess but I try her other recipes whenever they are made differently from what I usually do. Her colourful cocktail idlis where such a hit with me that I try them with whatever chutney I have or whichever varietion I can think of.
Please visit Madhuram's very own space for her recipe of cocktail idlis.



I made them with tomato chutney, pudina chutney and coconut chutney.
Also that I made them in mini moulds to have bite size idlis.
What you require:
3 X12 mini idli moulds
30 tablespoons idli batter
4 table spoons each of the above mentioned chutneys
What you should do:
Grease the idli moulds and keep ready.
Divide the batter into three parts. Mix with each part, one chutney of choice. The batter will itself be very colourful now.
Pour them into prepared moulds and steam in a steamer for 8-10 minutes.
Remove and serve the mini idlis colourful and decorated.
Madhuram suggests that the chutneys shall be a bit more spiced as they would tone down when mixed with idli batter. But I made them with normal spice as it would delight the kids too.
I've used carrot strips, tomato strips, cut carrots, bits of idlis and tomatoes as well as Milagai podi for the garnish.
These are off to Poornima's Tasty Treats who is hosting Tried and Tasted- Madhuram's eggless cooking. The event to honour fellow bloggers initiated by Zlamushka of Zlamushka's spicy kitchen


to Kids' Delight the event to celebrate blog anniversary of Spice your life by Srivalli

and the garnish is my entry to Garnish the dish event collectively held by the Innovative in-laws











38 comments:

  1. Colorful idli look so yummy Lata and beautiful presentation... perfect for the event... really looks too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a fantastic entry. :) You rocked. :) Was just abt to ask you to send it to the event and I am so glad to see that you have sent it. :) All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice presentation....nice event recipe.nice for kids lunch box....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect for all the events..I am sure if i show this to my kids...I will have to hear..mom, where is my plate..when are you going to make it..lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! yummy colourful idlis. They look so attractive and delicious also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey cocktail idlies :) I was so amused when I first looked at this in Madhuram's page and my mom tried it the same day I told her :) Your presentation look absolute super duper. Kutty Kutty idlies are looking great..You have made a whole Rangoli with the idlies :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats really amazing Lata. Idllies look perfect and colorful too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember those idlis from Madhus place. Great choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kudos... Latha... Soo good.. I first thought they were goodies... realised they were idlies after reading the title :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely and cute and very beautifully garnished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Latha,
    Idlila kolam potu asathiteenga. love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow.. colourful decorated idlis.. looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kudos for the expressions in those miniature smiley idlis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow,you have a wonderful art in your hand :) Pretty presentation of those colourful idlies ,so innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow superb entries to the event. love the idlis and garnishing absolutely hats off lata.superb.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Beautiful presentation with those cute little Idlis. Kindly collect your awards from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the last picture "garnishing my idlis" are very beautiful and looks like rangoli.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lata,
    The mini idlis are a feast for the eyes, I love mini sambar idlis, especially the ones at saravana bhavan in chennai!! Mixing in the chutney with the batter is such a brilliant idea, I have to try this out very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have seen this recipe in eggless cooking... looks colorful... will try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Wow" is the only word that comes to my head right now Lata. Absolutely colorful and I love your idea of presenting it as a kolam :-).

    ReplyDelete
  21. such a cute idlis and good presentation as well....

    ReplyDelete
  22. they look very cute, lata. i loved your choco dates post too and was laughing so much on a minute on the lips and forever on the hips. so true :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow thats looking great.. thanks for sending to the event. Looks gorgeous. cute cute idlies.. children will surely like this ...I showed cute idlies to my son too..

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow1 you have a lovely set of recipes here!
    do visit my blog when u find time!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hooo hooo I tried your tomato pickle recipe yesterday came out soooooooooooooooo good and we really enjoyed fresh pickle with roti and rice yesterday...So yummy the spices in the pickle is really different which i have tasted earlier.. wanted to let you know immediately.. Thanks so much... Still some of ur recipes in the list will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. nice recipe selection from Madhu's blog. I do not have a mini-idli stand, hope the get it soon. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mini idli looks so cute and nice presentation....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Colourful & Tasty idlis. excellent presentation latha.Thanks for visiting my blog & ur Valuable comment.keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey these Idlis luk so cute :) nd nice presentation

    ReplyDelete
  30. 1 bowl soup ena 100 bowl anuparen ongluku
    The way you asked me sounded so sweet :)
    Hope you set up everything and come back to the blogging world. waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  31. they look soo pretty..and beautifully presented..

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow, the mini idlis look very nice .. this is a must have

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely Idlies..I do make them very often...nice presentation too

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovley idilis and lovley presentation . perfect for he events lata, you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great choice from Madhu's... Lovely presentation and suits well for all the events.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow.. Great Idlis and Lovely presentation.. My first time here.. You have a great blog.. Following you! :) Pls do drop by mine when you have sometime!
    Till then, happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.