Thursday, October 8, 2009

Oat Raisin Cookies



These cookies are some I've been wanting to experiment with for some time. As with most South Indian homes our typical breakfast will be idlis, dosais and such. My husband puts in long working hours and feels cereals for breakfast will never suffice. While the Bahrain project was being set up, the office used to stock up some energy bars and soft drinks and juices along with coffee and tea making facilities. He had the energy bars there and found the pack on supermarket racks, which he encouraged me to buy. I loved the chewy texture and that is when on I wanted to try them at home.
My Betty Saw book has few chewy cookies but the ingredients invariably use eggs. Though I have cakes from bakers or friends, I can not relish if something smells of the eggs. Cakes don't seem to develop this but cookies with eggs will give off the whiff if stored over two days. I don't like buns that are given one eggwash to bring out the shine. This is totally my personal taste which neither my husband nor Niki seem to share :( My distaste for eggs developped after being force fed bull's eye while at boarding school, many years ago.
Going thro' recipes that feature in Madhuram's space with so many others presenting countless egg-free recipes, I ventured to modify one of Betty Saw's cookies. She had used mashed banana, which I was forced to replace by apple that was available that day in my kitchen. She had used one small egg which also was taken care of by the apple. Rest of the ingredients were from the recipe given.


These cookies were chewy and crisp on the first day, but softened by the next. I should be giving slight improvements, I guess. However, I give you the recipe and leave the rest to you. If anyone of you find a suggestion, I would love it.
Betty says "Pack these chewy cookies filled with bananas (apples, apply here) and raisins in your children's snack boxes...."
Ingredients:
(Drop cookies/ 15 minutes preparation/ 12-15 minutes baking/ yield 24 cookies)
60 grams butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 medium ripe apple (I weighed 100grams of cut pieces) (peel, core and microwave for 3 minutes and mash coarsely)
125 grams quick cooking oats ( Betty used rolled oats; I've used the only oats is available here)
75 grams self -raising flour, sifted
2 tablespoons castor sugar
75 grams raisins
Method:
Line baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
Melt the butter and golden syrup in a sauce pan over low heat. Cool slightly and mix the rest of the ingredients to it.
Drop the batter in rounded teaspoonfuls, spaced apart on the prepared trays. Flatten slightly using a fork.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, just until golden.
Cool on wire racks before storing in airtight containers.
I'm sending these cookies to Madhuram's Whole -grain Baking Event which features Oats this October.






13 comments:

  1. wow, that's a very good try, I appreciate you always, for your enthu in participating in all the events, you are simply superb..., every time i sit to post something i always end up seeing in my dashboard so many recipes, I just sometimes force myself just to check and leave it at that, but sometimes i cannot resist that i want to write some comment which comes to mind when i see it, sometimes i end up writing the same thing in everybody's blog, I think english needs to update some more wonderful words to show our appreciation towards it right ?, good job done.. and i will try to make them too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. the cookies look perfect and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookies look crisp and very inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrumptious oats and raisin cookies, looks prefect for quick breakfast..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... Simply quick n yummm... 3 cheers:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice twist from the regular Indian breakfast and also very healthy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love chewy granolas, I think this cookie is perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow thats wonderful healthy cookies looks so so tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nowadays We found so many subst for egg! Cookies are definetly to devour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the idea - healthy, fibrous and deilicous. All at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.