Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Aapam with Kurma

Aapam is an instant hit in our family.I have been using this recipe for over 12 years, ever since I read it in Aval Vikatan. This recipe was given by the chief cook of the Chettinad palace. It is simple and turns out superbly well. The aapam pan I use is made of Hindalium and is perfect. I have not tried the nonstick pan yet. But I'm sure it should turn out equally well with those too.
The following recipe makes about 12 aapams.

Ingredients:
Raw rice - 1 & 1/2 cups
Idli rice - 1 cup
Urid dhal - 4 tbsps
Fenugreek seeds - 2 teaspoons
Coconut water taken fron two coconuts (alternatively, you can use 1/4 cup of thin coconut milk)Salt to taste






Wash and soak together for about 6 hours, both the rices, dhal and fenugreek in the coconut water and more water as required.
Grind in a grinder or mixie to a fine batter. Let it ferment overnight or even longer.
Put the pan on stove. When the pan is hot enough, put a tsp oil in the pan and spread it to coat the sides well. Pour in one big ladle of batter in the pan and holding the sides of the pan, quickly twirl the pan and put back on the stove. Cover with the lid. Cook until ready for about two minutes. Lift off the pan slowly. The aapams will be thin on the edges and fluffy and porous in the middle.
Serve hot with kurma, thengai paal or stew.







KURMA
Ingredients:
Mixed vegetables 2 cups
Grind to a fine paste the following:
3 tbsp coconut
1" piece ginger
10 to 12 shallots
3 pieces garlic
5 cardamons
5 cloves
2 small pieces cinnamon
4 teaspoons khus khus

Microwave vegetables until cooked.
Put the pan on low fire, heat 1 tbsp ghee and add the ground spices.
Keeping the fire low, cook the spices well until the ghee separates.
Add cooked vegetables and water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until kurma thickens.
Serve hot with aapams.

These fluffy aapams are to feature in Padma's Dosa Corner Event.




























2 comments:

  1. Thats really tempting lata...so good and comforting combination dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Aapam. My mother-in-law used to make excellent aapam. I wish I had learnt from her. I always looking for recipe to try. Your method looks so easy. Thanks. I am sure going to make this.

    Radha

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.