Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pori upma

Just like aval upma, pori upma is quick to make, filling enough and is delectable too. My mother used to make this after navrathri celebrations, as, after the Aayudha pooja day we would have lots of pori (puffed rice) left over. I just made it more colourful and with more veggies added to it.





I use as many vegetables as I can, that add flavour to all my upmas. So whenever I cook this, I try to empty all my left over vegetables that can't add up to one full fledged poriyal or kootu.

This recipe can serve four.

Ingredients:

- Pori (puffed rice) - 150 grams
- 2 onions - medium sized (chopped)
- green chillies -4
- ginger - 1" piece (chopped)
- frozen green peas - 2 tbsp
- frozen corn - 2 tbsp
- 3 medium sized tomatoes (chopped)
- raw mangoes/mango ginger (if available)
- mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and corriander leaves for garnish.
- salt to taste
- oil for tempering

Put the pori in a colander and wash under running water for a few seconds. The pori should get soft but not soggy.

Put the pan on medium fire and add the oil. When hot, add the mustard seeds, cumin and leave to crackle. Then add the onions and the ginger. Saute for about three minutes, then add the tomatoes and the frozen vegetables. Cook till tender.

If you are using potatoes, beans and cabbages, you may cook longer until the veggies are soft. Add the puffed rice and saute for few more minutes until the pori and vegetables mix well.

Serve garnished with tempered curry leaves and fresh chopped cilantro.

This recipe is for the 15 minute cooking event hosted by Indian Vegetarian Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this is a few other blogs and have always been tempted to try... Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pori upma looks yummy.. thanks.

    you haven't linked back to my event announcement..please do it asap.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.