Monday, May 28, 2012

Serving you Chaat for Black and White Wednesdays




I loved the mixed sweet, sour and spiced taste of the street chaat the very first time I had tasted bhel puri. During my working years in Coimbatore it was an affordable and nice evenings out with friends to have chaat in one busy street side shop, standing and balancing your paper plate and trying to not allow the juices to spill. Those were fancy street food and hard to find then, unlike today.
It was much later that I could make it at home. Making golgappas and bhel puri at home is easy. I also realised that you can play around with the basic ingredients and bring out very interesting combinations as you wish. Though I make them once in a few weeks, I still fancy to eat chaat in some chaat corners .




Sra is hosting the Week 34 of Susan's Black and White Wednesday, for which I wanted to share the chaatwala at Adyar Ananda Bhavan's outlet in one of the highway petrol stations, where the time I visited, I opted to eat chaat though it was lunch time. The pictures above and below are from that visit.



And the recipe today is something that we ( my husband and myself) enjoyed with tea on a cloudy grey evening. I had some puri's /gol gappe left over having made a large batch for friends. there was some cooked chick pea and with just those we decided that we will combine our own chaat and have for a snack.
Aloo Channa Dahi Chaat


Ingredients:
Serves 2 people
8 - 10 golgappas
2 medium potatoes
1/4 cup chick peas  (soaked overnight  and pressure cooked until soft)
1 medium red onion
1/4 cup thick home set yoghurt
2 tablespoons mint leaves
2 tablespoons coriander leaves
1 pinch of carom seeds
1 green chili
1 teaspoon chaat masala powder
Salt as per taste

Method:
Boil the potatoes until the skin can be removed and cube them in small size cubes.
Grind the carom seeds, mint leaves coriander leaves and the green chill to a coarse paste and whisk this into the yoghurt.
Add the salt to the yoghurt and also add some to the chick peas.

Marinade the potatoes in this yoghurt mixture and leave aside for a few minutes.
Chop the onion finely.
If you would love to, add some chopped tomatoes and cucumber too.
 
While assembling the chaat, crush the golgappas in a bowl and drop the cooked chick peas and the potatoes. Mix well and allow the yoghurt to blend in the peas also. Add the chopped onion and mix once in a brisk mix.
Serve in small bowls topped with a garnish of chopped onions and fresh coriander leaves.


11 comments:

  1. Mmhhhh lipsmacking and creamy, luv it anytime

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all sort of chats, now making me crave for some. That too chats with dahi? I will die for it :) Super

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum ...a big chaats fan am ....and this makes me drool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect Lata; I remember those eateries near the petrol pumps during our last visit. The Aloo chana chat looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, even if you make chaats at home, there are times you are tempted by the roadside eaterir. But this one looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That packs in a lot, aloo, dahi and channa. It looks good too! Thanks for your entry, Lata!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious chaat. I am in for it at anytime of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice chaat and very interesting black and white photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to try this akka - looks super delish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im eagerly waiting to go eat road side golgappas and vada pav. Love your chat!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.