Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bhel puri



Having been advised, and sometimes disciplined about eating anything selling at street stalls, we were in for our biggest treat while visiting our uncle in Bombay. Most likely, he decided that at 17 and 15 we would be manageable even if we fell ill. He bought us pani puris and bhel puris selling @ Chowpati beach :)

That was the first time I ever tasted something khatta-meeta-thikka all in one dish. But that was only once. Back home we were to forget even looking at street vendors. We were allowed generously, to purchase any item that sold in the college canteen. So we indulged ourselves in the puffs and cream rolls that were prepared at the college's very own bakery under strictly hygiene conditions.

Later with a group of boys and girls who were friends of a nephew, I treated myself to a Kaiyendhi bhavan style bhel puri in the X-cut road - Ghandhipuram market corner while working in Coimbatore. Then it was a Thursday evening treat from my husband to drive to Bur-Dubai from Khor Fakkan before exploring the many shopping options that Dubai has to offer.

The time I purchased a few cookbooks, my sister's neighbour had taught her to make the puris. That is all we needed. Now it is a regular chat affair at home. Two days ago we met with a friend to celebrate her daughter's birthday. It was meant to be a Pani puri and junk food party but the junk part was a whole lot of health ones.

That reminded me of the fact that I have in pictures the Bhel puri I made for my husband's birthday in July, yet in my picassa album. So, I put aside all procrastination this afternoon and am typing.

Bhel puri my style:
For puris: (Source: Mallika Badrinath's 100 snacks special)
3/4th of a cup Fine variety semolina
1/2 cup All purpose flour
2 teaspoons roasted and powdered urad dhal
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tiny pinches baking powder
Ice cold water or sparkling soda water to knead a stiff dough
Oil for deep frying
Method:
Mix all the dry ingredients, salt and the baking powder well. Using the ice cold water or the soda water, make a stiff dough. Knead repeatedly yet stiff.
Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes.
Knead again until dough is elastic.
Make small puris and deep fry on low fire as and when you have rolled them. Let them not dry in the air. This may result in the puris not puffing enough.
The puris should be rolled neither too thick nor too thin. The fire also has to be medium to low. The puris have to be fried very crisp.
These can be made ahead and stored upto a fortnight.

Ompodi or sev for the bhel puri:
1 cup Gram flour
1 tablespoon rice flour
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Mix the flours with water and salt to make a smooth dough that can be pressed over hot oil using a very fine perforated fitted plate in a murukku press.
Heat oil and deep fry the pressed sev.
Keep reserve.

Mint Chutney and Sweet chutney:
Grind the following:
A fist full of fresh mint leaves
A tiny bunch of coriander leaves
A marble size ball of tamarind soaked in warm water
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoons jaggery powder
Black salt to taste
2 or 3 dry red chillies Adjust as per requirement
Juice of 1 lime
Pass this through a strainer and add another cup of water to this juice.
Soak the following in water for 1/2 an hour and grind to a semi thick paste:
A big lemon size ball of tamarind
3 table spoons powdered jaggery
10 numbers dates seeds removed
2 table spoons raisins
4 red chillis
A little amount of salt.

Other Ingredients for Bhel puri:
2 tablespoons grated carrots
2 tablespoons grated cucumber
1/2 of a raw mango grated
1 big potato boiled and mashed
2 tablespoons green peas cooked till tender
1 red onion sliced very finely
2 teaspoons coriander leaves chopped
1 tomato chopped finely
1 cup puffed rice

Keep all the ingredients ready and before seving, mix them well and serve garnished with additional ompodi and grated vegetables and coriander leaves.
This goes to RCI - Event started by Lakshmi of veggiecuisine, currently held @ Lakshmi's Kitchen Chronicles celebrating RCI- Mumbai.






25 comments:

  1. wow... looks wonderfull.. pass me some pls..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have this book.. Pass tat bowl here.. I'll finish it off :) Very nice..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!!!!!! u made pooris from scratch.Great.....my kids love chat items.It has come out so good

    ReplyDelete
  4. latha, I really appreciate your effort in making all these items..I can't believe the puris are homemade...too good.. :-) I am tempted to try it out this weekend itself..

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm. mouth-watering bhel puri.. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very inviting Bhel puri,I am coming tograb it.By the way Lata wer u in Dubai at some time?I am asking u because u have mentioned in ur article about Bur Dubai,Khorfokan etc----

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making everything from scratch does look like a lot for this wonderful chat item, but I bet if everything is made and well stored, it is pretty easy to assemble... neat presentation Lata ji!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Girls!! I missed you all.
    @ Indu KQ, yes some time in the early 90s we were posted in KFK.This place I used to eat chat was somewhere nearer to Al Fahidi lane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bhelpuri...count me in...This brings back lot of nostalgia..:-)
    First time in your wonderful space :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please collect your awards from my blog Lata ji :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow!!! wat a treat...
    Wanna grab that platter now...yummyyy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who can resist street food? U make me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually take the easy way out when it comes to bhel puri & pani puri with store bought chutneys etc. this looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks very good Lata - want to eat that right now - I just made idli, chutney sambar for dinner - but now want bhel puri!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely recipe and wish to have the whole bowl now. Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow my fav...Nice presentation and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The puri recipe is different from what I follow for pani puris. It has come out well- Crisp and puffed up. Will try yours next time.

    colorful bhel is looking very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am always hands-up for Pani puri and pav bhaji, but never gave the attention to bhel puri it actually deserved.. After coming here, I am going to every Indian shop hunting for Haldiram's bhel puri.. *Cursing myself for having not given the bhel puri its due credit*
    The platter looks yummy Lataji..your patience to do it from scratch..something I must learn!! Hats off!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh ...my favourite snack and you managed to tempt me...am sure going to make it this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely LOVE bhelpuri! First time here, loved browsing thru' your space :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely lovely, would love to have it now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks absolutely delicious. Street food can be so good.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.