Monday, July 13, 2009

Masala Kadalai




This recipe is very simple to make. Enjoy the deep fried crunchy peanuts.

Ingredients:
Peanuts 2 cups
Chick-pea flour 1/2 cup
Rice flour 2 tablespoons
Red Chilly powder 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Asafoetida 1/4 teaspoon
Oil for deep frying.


Place peanuts in a microwave proof flat dish and microwave on high power for 1 minute.
Toss them a bit and return to microwave on high for another 1/2 a minute.
In a bowl mix the flours, salt, asafoetida and chilli powder and keep aside.
Remove peanuts from microwave, cool and by rubbing between your palms skin them.
Put oil in a heavy pan and place it on fire.
Sprinkle few drops of water on the peanuts and mix with hand so the water coats the peanuts.They should be moist.
To these moist peanuts add the flour mix. Try not to use more water while adding the flours. They may lose the crunchy texture and turn out like medhu pakodas.
When the oil is hot, drop the peanuts in and deep fry until golden.
Drain on absorbent tissue.
Crunchy evening snack is ready.

I have followed Mr. Mallika Badrinath's recipe.

These savoury peanuts are off to feature in JFI-Peanuts hosted by Cooks Hideout initiated by Mahanandi.


16 comments:

  1. Mmmm.. Looks spicy and delicious... lovely snaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Hari. Btw don't you sleep girl? It was around 11 pm IST when you posted this comment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy.. I love masala kadalai. it looks absolutely tempting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum.. yum.. Crunchy peanuts.. They look delish. Thanks for sending them over to JFI: Peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great snack for munching..I can just finish it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious, I make it entirely in the microwave and have posted it in my site quite a long while back !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lata, u reminded me of my mom. She loves this. My dad will buy for her.. Ur's looks perfect spicy..!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Nithya, Pavani, Jyoti and Sanghi. Usha, Thank you ,I am looking out for a microwave version.Will dig in your archive and try the recipe.Though I have the recipe, I was not confident to try. Now, since it has been tried, I shall do so too.Thanx again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely crunchy peanuts..nice clicks too..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my dad fav,i tried it once didnt come out well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOvely and our fav too... pass me that lata.. crunchy munchy snack

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite! But I always buy in store,sure will try this:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much Prathibha, Shama, Varunavi and Rajeshwari.Hey Pavithra,nice to see you back. @ Rajeshwari, see Usha's comment above. I will soon be trying the microwave version following her recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lata, Thanks for ur wonderful recipe.. I tried this (also adding garlic paste) and came out very crunchy and yummy..

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.